Graduate Teaching Assistant (1547)
Graduate Teaching Assistant
This is a part-time, fixed term appointment for 36 months (0.5 FTE).
Birkbeck, University of London are seeking talented, passionate candidates to undertake PhD research in Computer Science and provide assistance to Academic Staff in a part-time Graduate Teaching Assistant role.
You will be registered as a Research (PhD) student within the Department for the period of employment with registration fees waived
As a Graduate Teaching Assistant, you will:
- Pursue research study towards a PhD thesis.
- Provide assistance to staff involved in teaching, including supporting classes and leading seminar discussions in person or online.
- Support students in developing their research projects, and teach students how to approach research.
- Supervise Masters dissertation projects and participate in the assessment and examination of students.
- Undertake administration related to the above to ensure the effecting running of programmes.
Ideally, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate the potential to conduct high-quality research in computer science
- Support teaching effectively at the undergraduate and postgraduate level both in person and online
- Demonstrate good organisational and administrative skills
Moreover, you will:
- Have obtained a good first degree or masters in a discipline relevant to computer science
- Be eligible for acceptance to the MPhil/PhD in the Department of Computer Science and Information Systems
- Submitted an application to the department’s MPhil/PhD including an original research proposal
As a part of the Graduate Teaching Assistant process, applicants must submit a research proposal alongside their application. Applicants who do not provide a research proposal as a part of their application may not be considered.
For further details regarding admission to our Research Study Programme, please consult the detailed guide available online.
Grade 6 of the College's London Pay Scale which is £36,374 rising to £41,348 per annum.
The salary quoted will be pro-rata for this part time post and is on the College's London Pay Scale which includes a consolidated Weighting/Allowance which applies only to staff whose normal contractual place of work is in the London area.
If you would like to know more about the role please click on apply below or contact Professor George Roussos, Assistant Dean, via email@example.com.
If you have technical issues or difficulties using the recruitment portal please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, providing your name and the job reference number of the position.
While we are happy to respond to all informal enquiries, only formal applications through the online system will be considered.
Birkbeck offers a competitive salary and pension scheme, 31 days paid leave, flexible working arrangements and some of the most generous benefits in the HE sector, all while being located right in the heart of Central London.
We welcome applicants from all sections of the community. The College is committed to improving the gender and cultural diversity of its workforce, holding an Athena SWAN award, , operating Disability Confident & Mindful Employer schemes.